Re: Florida Lost ballots

From: Justin Oelgoetz <oelgoetz_at_astronomy.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 15:50:40 EDT

>In Ohio I can vote at the wrong polling place and the county/state has to
>sort it out and count my vote. In Michigan (I think it was Michigan, one
>of the neighbors of Ohio anyway) if I vote in the wrong polling place its
>just thrown out. I'm not arguing about which one is better or worse just
>thats its inconsistant.

Appellate court ruled that Ohio will be following the, 'provisional'
voting form only counts if it is at the right polling place, or if it is
cast down town at the board of elections office. This is what out
Republican Secretary of State wanted - I think the case was Democratic
Party of Ohio v. Kenneth Blackwell, or something to that effect. Dems
choose not to appeal, so it will stand come Tuesday. Current fighting is
over whether or not local boards of elections can hear challenges to voter
registrations. Dems sued and got a lower court to order Blackwell to
order the local boards to stop hearing challenges. Thus far Blackwell
hasn't complied, although the deadline for complying is sometime later
today.

Only bright side of the whole mess here is that Columbus has more hotels
and restaurants for the press than Tallahasse did, and since the Ohio
State-Michigan game is here this year, the zoo here may be a
slightly more comfortable zoo, but unless the polls are wrong, a zoo it
will be. Aside from that Blackwell makes Kathrine Harris look
like a liberal, and has a nack for side stepping, or plain old out
politicking, the Moderate-Republican Governor, and as such will no doubt be
called a partisan whether his intentions are honorable or not.

From Mary Poppin's neighborhood,

Justin

--
Justin Oelgoetz
Graduate Student, Chemical Physics Program, The Ohio State University