Re: Florida Lost ballots

From: Shawn Moore <smoore_at_teuse.net>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 08:42:18 EDT

> Are you kidding me???
        NPR is reporting it also. Apparently the state didn't talk to the post office and find out that they garuntee diliver, just not when, maybe next year, or the year after.

> I am really thinking that after this election we will all sigh, and think back fondly to the 2000 election where we had so few problems...

        Only because we wern't looking then. Now that everyone is looking for problems with our voting system we will find its as much a mess as most 3rd world countries. Every county picks its own voting machines, prints its own ballots (because of local elections), and sets some standards on what is a valid vote. The states have some say (Florida has 2 general methods that are allowed to record votes http://election.dos.state.fl.us/votemeth/index.shtml), and the feds set some more retrictions and requirements but it ends up that every county is different because the locals have so much control.
        One of the basis that international observers use for "free and fair elections" is that everyting is consistant across the election. Well how can things be consistant when different voting methods are used in different places, different rules apply when counting/recounting ballots. In Ohio I can vote at the wrong polling place and the county/state has to sort it out and count my vote. In Michigan (I think it was Michigan, one of the neighbors of Ohio anyway) if I vote in the wrong polling place its just thrown out. I'm not arguing about which one is better or worse just thats its inconsistant.

--
If I actually could spell I'd have spelled it right in the first place.
Shawn Moore <smoore@teuse.net>